Mime type for compound document.

On the dsdl list, a request arose for
the mime type for a Schematron document.

It appears that for compound documents, no one has
got to grips with mime types as yet.
The issue is, as  Makoto MURATA  put it,

A schematron schema can be embedded within NVDL scripts, RELAX NG
schemas, W3C XML Schema schemas, XProc scripts, and so forth.

Ken Holman said, intriguingly,

Hasn't this issue been around since 1999?  I recall the tension
between the "Internet guys" who believe the MIME type should reveal
everything without the need to look inside (so
"application/schematron+xml" or "application/xslt+xml" is necessary)
and the "XML guys" who believe that XML already has identification
built in with namespaces when you look inside (so "text/xml" is sufficient).

I don't believe this was every resolved or could be resolved because
of the intractable positions of those who do not want to look inside
of the file and those who don't mind doing so.

Do we have both 'internet guys' on this list, as well as
xml guys (and gals I guess)?

Mime type of the outer wrapper?
Metadata pointing to the inner variants?
Other options?

Intractable? Doubtful.
Permathread fodder? Possible.

regards