RE: Fwd: [xml-dev] Data versioning strategy: address semantic, relationship, and syntactic changes?

Len Bullard writes:

> The problem then is may be multi-variate:  a change breaks one
> system but not another.  As in does not break the processing
> application but does break the help description of the running
> system.  It isn't just *identifying* the change; it is capturing the
> real and non-real time effects.
>
> That is the difference between *a* version (identifying the
> resource) and version control (identifying and executing the
> process).  Not a new topic here or elsewhere.

Yes, I agree.  More fundamentally, I think we need to be careful with
terminology.  It's quite common to see discussions in which there is
debate about whether version 1 of a language is compatible with version 2.
 I don't think Roger's original note falls into that trap, but I think
some of the discussion has tended in that direction.  The terminology we
use can, unintentionally, frame the discussion in ways that hides
important issues.  I think it's usually more appropriate to ask: "for what
range of uses can document D authored to conform to the specification of
version X of a language be safely usable if interpreted per the
specification for version Y?" and "for what range of uses can >all
documents< authored to conform to the specification of version X of a
language be safely usable if interpreted per the specification for version
Y?"  That latter question tends to capture what one means by language VX
is/isn't compatible with language VY.  This is just my opinion, but I've
found it a useful way to frame things.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation