Re: [xml-dev] Structured from/within unstructured documents

Stephen,
The problem with processing the physical PDF file is precisely its presentation orientation.  It is possible to have a PDF that contains multiple instances of a paragraph with the physical order of those paragraphs not necessarily being chronological order (you have to process the PDF format in order to work out which instance is live).  If you go down a parsing route and want complete reliability, you have to interpret the PDF file structure before you can linearise it so that it can be parsed (obviously this is not the case with linearised PDFs as defined by the Adobe PDF reference).  In that sense I am not sure that LR(1) is going to help without a very, very complex lexer.

A perverse document can mix image and text or even embed the text in the reverse order that it would be displayed in.

A simple parsing approach will work most of the time, but not all of the time.  PDF is a fun formatbut  extraction of text with 100% reliability requires the equivalent of an Acrobat reader to do the parsing and placement of glyphs on the page.  Have a look in the Adobe PDF reference for the gorey details.

Greg