Re: [xml-dev] XML without a net - XPackage step for XProc?

Ken North a écrit :
> We've had discussions here about schema best practices, versioning and archiving
> practices.
> But still unresolved is the best approach to "self-contained XML" - scenarios
> where we must operate without an Internet link or retrieve old document archives
> and want to avoid missing information.
>
> It's not uncommon for the processing of a document instance to depend on
> different web sites for schema, namespace and SQL database mapping information.
> Despite W3C guidelines, there's no guarantee those links will be persistent. In
> addition, some applications must be capable of operating in disconnected mode.
> Those situations call for something like an XPackage so there's no need to look
> to external links for schemas, namespaces, etc.
>
> One packaging solution might be XProc. Following the XInclude and validation
> steps, there could be an option to archive everything in an XPackage. For good
> measure, it could include a reference parser. If a user opens the XPackage on a
> desert island or pulls it from a DVD in 15 years, he or she would have what's
> needed to operate on a document.

RefleX can work like this ; for example, you can pack in a zip file
several resources :
-a master XML document
-some fragments to XInclude
-a DTD
-an XSLT stylesheet
then you can refer any resource in the zip file for
parsing/validating/xincluding/transforming ; relative paths work too

additionally, the logic itself can be embedded in the same file :
http://reflex.gforge.inria.fr/tips.html#N12E5B

it's not XProc, but you'll find in RefleX very valuable features :
-several useful tag libraries,
-a servlet with its web module library,
-XUnit for testing purpose,
-the ability to browse your file systems with XPath,
-means to design macro tags,
etc

--
Cordialement,