Re: [xml-dev] Caution using XML Schema backward- or forward-compatibility as a versioning strategy for data exchange

David,

thanks for the links to your presentation and paper.

Insofar as the speed with which a standards body can/will respond to
change requests, as I'm sure you understand, they are sometimes in the
uneviable position of arbitrating between different members of the
community who, may be prepared to collaborate on standards efforts,
but are nonetheless are very often competitors. So politics is also a
factor. This is why I see extensibility as a strong requirement, that
is, to remove much of the tactics that could be employed when 2
trading partners want to progress an aspect of the standard which
others have no great interest in. Those efforts can feed back as
candidate changes to the standard that the commuity as a whole can
choose to adopt (or change) at a later date (early adopters accept
that possibility too).

Also, as I mentioned above, sometimes there is a need to carry
'private' data as part of a message exchange and the standard should
provide extensibility locations for this also (although this can in
some circumstances lead us into patterns such as 'must ignore' if the
message could be broadcast to others).

Fraser.