Re: [xml-dev] RE: Caution using XML Schema backward- or forward-compatibility as a versioning strategy for data exchange

> So this supports my hunch that what we all need for a further technological
> step is to start adding the semantics, via say RDF, etc, to the basic WSDL
> and XSD of web services. This ties the semantics more firmly to the syntax.

Sorry, by this I meant use RDF, etc along with WSDL and XSD; I didn't really
mean physically attach RDF to WSDL, etc (though maybe the future will have
that in store). Thankfully Roger has clarified very well the concept of using
XSD then Schematron and then RDF/S and/or OWL and/or data dictionaries
to quite comprehensively define a web service and not just WSDL + XSD alone.

I wonder how much of all this will improve interoperability. Has anyone tried
actually testing semantics as part of conformance testing? Is there any way
to test whether an implementation, say of a web service, properly 'understands'
the semantics behing the syntax and structure?
--
Stephen Green

Partner
SystML, http://www.systml.co.uk