Re: [xml-dev] RE: Caution using XML Schema backward- or forward-c ompatibility as a versioning strategy for data exchange

Yeah, but IIRC the UBL NDR mandates backward semantic compatibility -
I don't think actually that the change wanted by country Z should be
accepted as matching that requirement, although as you point out there
is the risk because there is a disconnect between the ability of
committees to match technical requirements for their work with 100%
perfection.

Note on that:
I don't think anything was ever specified about being able to
invalidate and roll-back a new version of a  standard if the standard
can be shown to not match the requirements on the standard, that would
certainly be an interesting experiment in destroying the world and for
that reason I approve it, but in practice to validate that a standard
conforms to the technical limitations placed on its development is all
on the front end. The only acceptance testing of standards seems to be
do people use it or not. Unfortunate, so I agree the scenario you
describe below CAN happen, I disagree however that it follows the
rules for what SHOULD happen in the context of UBL. Is there something
at the top organizational level of OASIS or other standards
organizations that allow the publication of a retraction of a standard
and mandate a moveback to a previous standard for an indeterminate
time?

I hope the above makes sense, I think this is one of those subjects
that is somewhat vague and as a consequence the attempt to develop a
nuanced understanding of it in some ways contributes to e ever
increasing vagueness. Or maybe I am thinking poorly, not having had my
double espresso yet.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen