RE: [xml-dev] RE: Caution using XML Schema backward- or forward-c ompatibility as a versioning strategy for data exchange

Michael said:

> Actually, I really liked it because it's the kind of thing that happens
> all the time. Or more likely, in version 1 there's no clear definition of what
> <distance> means, and different parts of the user community start interpreting
> it in different ways; then version 2 clarifies the meaning, and some parts of
> the user community find that their previous interpretation is no longer valid.

A real-world example of this kind of thing is the HL7 standards in
healthcare.  HL7 is colloquially known as the "non-standard" standard
specifically because of this very problem of vastly differing interpretations
of the spec.

Happens all the time in the wilds of the real world I'm afraid.

Andrzej Jan Taramina
http://www.chaeron.com