RE: [xml-dev] Caution using XML Schema backward- or forward-compatibilityas a versioning strategy for data exchange

Mike Kay wrote:

> All true...

Actually, I'm not convinced that's always the reason.  In many cases, the
reason you want extensibility is that some core format or business
document is to be extensible in different ways by different organization.
So, an entire industry might agree on an extensible invoice or purchase
order format, with the understanding that individual organizations using
the document can add their own additional tracking fields and the like. In
such cases, it would be inappropriate to try and route all the private
extensions through a central authority, no matter how quick and responsive
that authority is.

One of the important dimensions to consider is that some XML languages
are, for good reasons, evolved completely centrally.  Others are evolved
by a limited number of organizations, sometimes in cooperation, but
sometimes in competition.  It's not at all unusual for one organization to
pick up a programming language, document format, etc., to change it,
perhaps in compatible ways or perhaps in other ways, and to promote the
use of its version(s) in competition with others that are out there.  This
certainly happened with HTML for quite awhile.  Finally, as mentioend
above, some languages are intended from the start for decentralized
enhancement or evolution.  In many cases, those languages prove to be some
of the most interesting and powerful for users.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street