Re: [xml-dev] RE: Caution using XML Schema backward- or forward-compatibility as a versioning strategy for data exchange

Hi Roger

If you take your example of 'distance'; will the only difference
between the two services be that the first version might have
an element (I gather this scenario is the basis for arguing for
a separate url for the new version)

<distance method="from-center-of-town">100</distance>

or, with a codelist for 'method' values

<distance method="FMCT">100</distance>

and the second version might have

<distance method="from-town-line">100</distance>

or, with a codelist for 'method' values

<distance method="FTL">100</distance>

There hardly seems enough reason here to warrant a new
url - or at least it seems unlikely that the developers creating
the 'new' service, if the only differences are as above, will
give it a new url.

If, however, the first version didn't include the method attribute,
say, would that involve enough change of schema to warrant
a new url? Maybe. But then both versions would want to use
it since there would be the need to somehow show the
difference in method by showing the method in both versions.
So the problem has just moved, not been removed: Now
version 2 is OK but version 1 still needs updating to a version
1.1 (with the new attribute) and now the problem is that version
1.1 might be a breaking change for some WS consumers.

If, on the other hand, the first version did have the method
attribute there are two possibilities:
a. If there is a codelist, just extend the codelist. In UBL we
found this was not a simple task at all as we couldn't extend
codelists enumerated with XML Schema - only ones where we
had used Schematron for the code values.
  So there are two further subdivisions of this scenario
   i.  XML Schema used for codelist - here there may be no way
       to derive a schema so the need exists for a new url and
       schema
  ii. XML Schema excludes codelist values - here there is no
      need have a new XML Schema, just publish the new codelist
      - hardly reason for a new url

b. If there is no codelist then why change the url just to use
a different value for the method attribute content

So in short I see only 1 of 4 scenarios where the semantic change
justifies or is helped at all by use of a new url. The forethought
in creating a method attribute with wisdom to not code values with
XML Schema v1.0 avoids the need. The lack of forethought means
a new url won't help much (still problem exists for version 1 url).

Not using a codelist but using a method attribute seems to solve
the problem with no need for new url. That seems to be the key.
Add metadata everywhere in version 1. I still wonder: Is RDF/S
going to be a valid way to do this? Would it work? It does seem
to be becoming the standard way to add metadata for semantics.

Best regards

--
Stephen Green

Partner