Re: [xml-dev] Schema development for information design & authoring

----- Original Message From: "Eric Bréchemier" -----
> On Jan 9, 2008 1:13 PM, Khaled Aly wrote:
> >  I'm wondering about the business case magnitude/significance of  schema
> > development for purpose of information development & design,
> > documentation,
> > and content management.
>
> Schemas have many usages, but based on my own experience, few
> programmers define their own for the custom data they create.

That likely depends on the sorts of tools you have to hand.  We build an XML
C++ databinding tool (converts an XML schema into C++ code that can read
corresponding XML instances) and it's very easy for us to write a schema,
and then generate the corresponding code.  We end up doing this for even the
most trivial XML documents just because it's easy!

Even if you don't use data binding tools, defining your own schema is a good
way to document your data, and you can use it in other types of validating
parser to handle some of the tedious data checking (validation) work.

So, just because you may be the only one to use the schema, doesn't mean
it's not worth creating.

HTH,

Pete Cordell
Codalogic