Re: [xml-dev] Using Saxon 9 as a Schematron 1.5 back end

Michael Kay wrote:

> Having said that, there's a reason Saxon doesn't give you column numbers,
> which is that the column number reported by the SAX parser is usually not
> very meaningful.

This problem is repeated sufficiently often I'm surprised other
alternatives aren't available.

The best offering I've seen was from a Schematron process that generated
an html version of the source 'highlighting' (as appropriate) the source
of the problem, given an xpath location. I think it was from David
Carlisle on the html accessibility guidelines. Rick? Anyone?

Agreed it's likely that the eventual target is likely to be an editor
on the source file, but a better way of finding it is surely more
effective than a misleading column number (even worse for non
pretty-printed XML all on one line).

regards

--
Dave Pawson