Re: [xml-dev] Handling Multiple Service Responses

Fraser Goffin wrote:

> one of my colleagues they suggested that when returning a SOAP Fault
> their might be some behaviour implemented by the particular library
> used (consistent with SOAP Fault processing) which may occur by
> default and which, in some cases of business errors, may not be what
> is intended.

That wouldn't surprise me.   The Recommendation really doesn't insist normatively on how application errors are handled, and I suspect it would in some cases be difficult to get agreement on what's an error at the application level anyway.  So, it wouldn't be surprising at all if certain libraries or runtimes made the assumption that SOAP faults were related to middleware rather than application issues.  I should have acknowledged that in my last note.  I just wanted to point out that it's definitely OK per the Recommendation to use SOAP faults for application-level errors should you wish to.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street