RE: [xml-dev] XPath 2.0 Best Practice Issue: Graceful Degradation

Well, it's really all about contracts, isn't it? If you write a piece of
code, you need to establish a contract with your caller. And the essence of
that contract is whether you validate the data, or the caller validates. If
the caller isn't contracted to validate the data against an agreed schema,
then you're best off validating it yourself. And doing that within the logic
of the XPath expression itself, as you've shown, is not a particularly nice
approach.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/