Re: [rest-discuss] Objects at REST...

>  >  if you are dealing with specific objects, I guess they're
>  > resources like other resources, no?

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:42 PM, Andrzej Jan Taramina
<andrzej@chaeron.com> wrote:
>  Typically not, in my experience.  Objects are finer grained and designed for
>  purposes other than external interface needs.

I can agree on the former, but not generally on the latter. However, I
was more pointing to the fact that the word "resource" is really
whatever you make of it, including objects (whatever you make "object"
out to be). :)

>  My point here is that the potential for abuse is too high.

Not sure that this RESTful objects thing is any more prone to abuse
(i.e; wrong use) than any other thing out there. HTTP by itself is
abused all the time, even the OO paradigm is overly abused by most
developers anyway. Unfortunately for the human race it requires proper
knowledge to do things well. There's always some smartness that goes
with every job well done, no matter what field, profession or
situation. Guns don't kill people; bullets do. Are you saying the
accessibility of our tool are to blame for the abuse of the tool?

> The OO folks

Who are they?

> will
>  go ahead and design object models the way they always have, or will reuse
>  existing models, and then just slap some HTTP on top of them with some URLs
>  that reference those objects, and will REST on the 7th day.

Hmm, aren't you more saying they won't REST on the 7th day? :)

>  I predict way more wrong than right will be inflicted on business
>  stakeholders and IT management with this approach. ;-)

Given the knowledge business stakeholders / owners and IT management
in general show on REST, I'd say we're safe for a long time still. :)
If they don't understand the goodness of REST, then they're not
capable of understanding the trouble with not doing it right either.

Alex
 Project Wrangler, SOA, Information Alchemist, UX, RESTafarian, Topic Maps