Re: [xml-dev] Were these derived from a logical data model: XSLT, XML Schema, XHTML, Schematron?

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 04:59:26PM -0000, Michael Kay wrote:
> > XPath 2.0, XSLT 2.0 and XQuery 2.0 do use a logical
> > (abstract) data model to describe XML.
>
> They use a data model to describe the inputs and outputs of the language,
> but not to describe the language itself,

Right.

> which is I think the question that Roger was asking.

Well, I don't want to read more precision into Roger's
question than is there...  I think the answer is that yes, some
formal modeling was done, and we should also not forget here
the XPath 2.0 and XQuery Formal Semantics... but that UML and
other graphical techniques were not used in the way Roger implied.

[...]

> It's worth noting that a vocabulary like XSLT is synthetic: unlike a banking
> transaction or a tax return, it is not trying to model something that exists
> in the real world. UML and similar modelling techniques are helpful in
> developing a shared understanding of the objects and relationships that
> exist in the real world

Yes.

I've certainly seen people use UML (and E-R modeling) to develop XML
vocabularies of that sort.

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/ * http://www.fromoldbooks.org/