len

From: Steve Newcomb [mailto:srn@coolheads.com]

I think we're not understanding each other, Len.  I guess I
didn't understand your note.

Maybe you're talking about a community's process of
authoring a map, thinking that there has to be a starting
point for such a process: a "base map".  I wasn't talking
about that; my mistake.

I was talking about the importance of making the information
of a given community (or individual) accessible to other
communities and individuals, in terms that are different
from the terms of the originating community.  I meant to say
that, although despair about this possibility seems popular,
it is not really warranted.  True, such accessibility
requires the commitment of *human* effort, and such efforts
are not nearly as cheap as Google's machine cycles, but
there's no technical reason why the fruits of such efforts
can't be easily re-used and re-exploited indefinitely, nor
why technology can't be used to make such re-exploitation
much cheaper than re-developing equivalent information in
different terms would be.  (Note: not dirt cheap, and not
100% automatic, but much cheaper, anyway.)  Even without
cheap re-usability, the returns on mapping investments can
be reasonable and attractive, as librarians and indexers
have been demonstrating for many years.

Still, I think my comment is at least a little bit relevant,
because of the problem of coming up with a base map in the
first place.  It could be advantageous to start with
somebody else's map.
it.
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.