Re: [xml-dev] Defining an XML vocabulary: specify syntax, semantics, andBEHAVIOR?

I think the question ultimately proves to be circular.  There are many
uses of XML:  for some of those uses, the whole point is to encode
behavior, and for some uses it's just to encode information.  The most
obvious example of the former would be an XML serialization of some
imperative set of instructions:  go to the store, buy some yogurt, go
home, eat it.  For such uses, of course it makes sense to define
"behavioral information".   In other cases, XML is used to encode just
information or data.  For example:  "Noah's phone number is 555-1234".  I
claim there need not in general be any preferred behavior associated with
receiving or encountering an XML document encoding this information.
Should you dial my phone number every time you open the XML file?  Should
you add it to your address book again?  If the answer is yes, then your
goal was not to encode my phone number, it was to encode an instruction
for doing something with my phone number.  So, it depends what you're
trying to do.

I will say that one of the most important aspects of XML, as opposed to
say OO programming, is that it covers both of these cases reasonably
directly (though XML can be a pretty clumsy way to encode detailed logic
or instructions).  To just say "Noah's phone number is 555-1234" in Java
really isn't straightforward, though there certainly are Java idioms
(getPhoneNumber(), setPhoneNumber)) that approximate it.  Having data that
can be reused in many different ways is very important.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street