Re: [xml-dev] Best way to create an XML document

On 12/04/2008, Mukul Gandhi <gandhi.mukul@gmail.com> wrote:
>  1) Is it possible to pretty print the output?

Yes - have a look at OutputKeys

>  2) Is this approach faster than using DOM serialization?

Probably... is performance an issue?

>  3) Here I am using the transformer functionality for creating XML,
>  which looks more like a XSLT feature (i.e., transformation task).
>  Should we not have this capability in the XML parser (for e.g., in
>  Xerces)? Should we have something like xml-writer (which Rob pointed)
>  built into Xerces (possibly as an enhancement)?

Reading and writing XML in Java is a pain, which is why so many people
just construct a string that looks like XML (and incur the pain
later).  This technique isn't a hack, but it's an easy way if you're
used to writing transforms.  Try some of the others - JDOM, XOM, StAX
(or Java 6) etc. and see which you prefer.

It would be really nice if you could just annotate a pojo and persist
that to XML, ala JPA...

>  mentioned with xml-writer. Why does the implementation doesn't ensure
>  this?
>
>  For e.g, I am able to produce this as well using this code:
>  </t> here).

That looks like a problem with Xalan...

--
Andrew Welch