Re: [xml-dev] NVDL Question: validate one part of a compound document,independent of other parts?

Costello, Roger L. wrote:

> This instance document is called a compound document, right?

Yes.

> I "think" that NVDL enables me to express this: "Please validate the
> new chunk of markup against NYT.xsd, and then validate the rest of the
> instance document (excluding the new chunk) against the Book schema."
>
> Is this true?  Does NVDL allow the validation of the Book markup, as
> though the other markup wasn't even there?

Yes.

If you want your NYT markup to appear anywhere, you can use the
following NVDL script for validation:

<rules xmlns="http://purl.oclc.org/dsdl/nvdl/ns/structure/1.0";>
   <namespace ns="...book NS...">
     <validate schema="book.xsd"/>
   </namespace>
   <namespace ns="...other NS...">
     <validate schema="NYT.xsd"/>
   </namespace>
</rules>

If you want to restrict NYT markup to appear only inside Book element,
you can do this by:

<rules xmlns="http://purl.oclc.org/dsdl/nvdl/ns/structure/1.0";
startMode="root">
   <mode name="root">
     <namespace ns="...book NS...">
       <validate schema="book.xsd">    <!-- book namespace will be
validated against book.xsd -->
         <context path="Book"          <!-- content of Book element will
be *also* processed in NYT mode, which can validate NYT markup -->
                  useMode="NYT"/>
       </validate>
     </namespace>
   </mode>
   <mode name="NYT">
     <namespace ns="...other NS...">
       <validate schema="NYT.xsd" useMode="attach"/>
     </namespace>
   </mode>
   <mode name="attach">
     <anyNamespace>