Re: [xml-dev] Non-English languages in XSLT, XML Schema grammars

Ramkumar Menon wrote:
> Gurus,
>
> I had a question. Why is it that languages like XML Schema, XSLT etc
> allow only English in the element and attribute names ?  I am not
> referring to the content, but the actual elements and attributes
> defined by the grammar.
> i.e.  <schema>, <template>, <call-template>, <for-each>, <element>,
> <attribute> etc....
> Does it make any sense at all to allow these grammars itself to
> support writing schemas/xslts etc in local languages.
ISO standards are in English (and/or French) only. Where a standard
needs technical words that are not found in English (and/or French) then
the term from the originating language might be romanized and adopted.

However, national standards can be in the national language(s).  So when
translating or transposing a standard to Japanese, for example, the
National Body could decide to use Japanese names and characters. This
would have the minor inconvenience that the XSLT or Schema would not run
on any standard software.

But sometimes it is indeed important and appropriate. China's UOF began
AFIK as a fork of early ODF with sinified names, then Chinese-particular
features added.

ISO/IEC SC34 JTC1 has been working on a schema language Document
Structures Renaming Language (DSRL) which allows you to do simple
mappings from one language to another. It is exactly right for using as
a localizing pre-processor. It wouldn't surprise me if in the future
more standards build DSRL into their processing model. I would only
expect NBs to use if 1) they did not have universally strong
English-speaking technical population, 2) they didn't have an alphabetic
script (e.g. Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, Arabic, Hebrew, etc), and 3) their
language was from a different family than English (e.g. non
Indo-European.)   Which is primarily the PRC, but it would be great if
other NBs took up the challenge: it is quite an infrastructure change.

Another view of this is to see it as a user-interface problem. XSLT
editors need to provide localized views of stylesheets even if though
they emit the standards English-ish element and attribute names.

The W3C standards are in English. If you wanted to make one in another
language, you would have to join W3C and argue the case.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe