Re: [xml-dev] Re: Non-English languages in XSLT, XML Schema grammars

Tony Coates writes:

> Most specifications like XML Schema, XSLT, etc. are (in my experience)
> essentially volunteer efforts.  Even if people work on these groups as
> part of their job, they are allowed to spend 1 hour per week
> once they've
> finished the 50 hours of work per week that their 40 hour per week job
> requires.

Well, it's very kind of you to assume that those of us who work on these
standards are doing so on an unpaid volunteer basis.  I do know a few real
heros for whom that's essentially true, but it really isn't fair to the
rest of us to be given credit for the same level of sacrifice.  For at
least some of us, being on groups like the XML Schema Workgroup is part of
our day jobs, and we do get paid for it.  Not only do many of us put in
far more than 1 hour per week, the charters of many W3C workgroups
requires a greater commitment than that to maintain good standing.  At
least one of the Schema WG charters suggested a planned commitment of 1
day per week, with editors and chairs committing more.   When IBM signs me
up to a workgroup, our advisory committee representative makes a
commitment to W3C that I will be available for the time required to
maintain good standing (of course, whether IBM pays me for that is between
me and IBM.)

As to offering these or any other computer languages in more than one
translated form, the tradeoffs are usual complex.  First of all there be
considerable work to design each variant, I.e. to ensure that proper
keywords were chosen, that each was properly suggestive of its purpose,
that none could be taken as offensive, etc.  There would also be at least
some additional testing effort required.  One would then have to define
conformance rules:  must all processors accept all translations, or just
one?  If the latter, then is it necessary for every widely published
schema to be offered in all forms?  So, even if the work required to
create the the translation schema (or XSLT) language itself were
negligible, there would be at least some detrimental impacts on
international interoperability.  While it certainly is a problem that tags
like <element> make sense primarily in English, at least a schema written
using that tag will be understood by any Schema processor.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street