Re: [xml-dev] XML Design for Diverse Data

I find the concept of NVDL useful because it makes declarative some
things that need to be done in every reasonably complicated validation
pipeline but not useful enough because it does not (from what I've
seen) allow any declarations that affect the state of the instance
after validation (maybe you can show if I'm wrong on this)

what I mean by the preceding, which admittedly sounds like something
one would not want to do, is something that I described in an earlier
email. In a context where I have an XML instance coming into the big
XML handling system programmed over a long period of time by many
different programmers in different languages with widely varying
levels of skills I want to preprocess the XML before it has actual
contact with the system. This is often done via validation, once we
have something validated it can go in.

NVDL is focused on allowing extensibility of the XML, but at the end
of an NVDL validation the XML instance is valid and unchanged. This is
of course a good thing in some circumstances, but in the context of a
large enough system that I don't trust I might want to do something
like:

Validate, send only one particular namespace to certain parts of the system.

Currently what I would do is to extract the relevant namespace and
serialize it via an XSL-T and send it to the part of the system that I
know can handle that namespace.

NVDL doesn't seem to help that.

Actually a declarative language that helps that is XProc, and I would
say that given the scenarios of what you can do with XProc and what
you can do with NVDL that what I would probably do is to just use
XProc, set up a pipeline for validation and so forth. It seems most
likely to meet needs of data processing applications. The use that I
see for NVDL, and I think the only real use I see for it when compare
it to XProc is to do validation of compound documents. (admittedly
NVDL will be more compact of a syntax than XProc but not significantly
more compact)

For these reasons I don't think NVDL will break beyond a very limited
subset of people using it.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen