Re: [xml-dev] Why is there an "S" in XSLT?

Costello, Roger L. wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> The "S" in XSLT stands for "stylesheet."  But in modern web design
> practices styling a document (i.e., adding text color, font-size,
> borders, and so forth) is accomplished using Cascading Stylesheets
> (CSS).

Since the obvious answer hasn't been mentioned in this thread, I guess
I'll provide it ;->

The stylesheet language is XSL, which is routinely used to translate XML
into PDF, PostScript, and other formats. When formatting documents, you
often need to do transformations. The transformation language designed
to support XSL stylesheets was called XSL Transformation Language.

XSLT can be used quite generally, but there are certainly aspects of its
design that were motivated by use cases expected for this kind of
transformation. And this has affected XPath and XQuery - because of the
use cases envisioned for stylesheet-oriented transformations, E1/E2
involves implicitly removing duplicates and sorting in document order.

Retaining "S" in the name can help explain the history, design choices
and quirks of the language. I think that's a good thing. XSLT is
certainly used more widely than for stylesheets, and the designers of
the language were very aware that it probably would be, but stylesheets
were veyr much on their minds and influenced the language significantly.

Jonathan