Re: [xml-dev] Accurate line and column numbers for elements and attributesin Java

Hi Leigh,

There's a reason that most XML parsers don't report accurate line and
column numbers - the XML specification makes it difficult in a number of
ways. For instance, the namespaces spec basically requires that all
attributes of an element be parsed before the element can be reported,
which often means that line and column information for the attributes is
lost. Similarly, the XML spec applies attribute value normalization to
each attribute value, meaning that the original position of characters
in the source document is lost.

What a lot of XML tools end up doing is reporting a line number and then
doing something like quoting the attribute value marked with the
position of the error. This is quite unsatisfactory when you're used to
accurate line and column numbers from other tools - especially for
programming languages.

In writing my own parser FAXPP [1] (in C, so not great for you), one of
my aims was to be able to use it to report accurate line and column
numbers when parsing XSLT. In order to do that it has an option to turn
off attribute value normalization - but of course the application then
has to perform the same operation later to be described as a conformant
XML parser.

John

[1] http://faxpp.sourceforge.net/

--