Re: [xml-dev] [Summary] Creating a single XML vocabulary that is appropriately customized to different sub-groups within a community

Roger,

I'm not sure you've covered Len's points (which could be option 5),
although this may have been deliberate ?.

That said, its not altogether clear (to me at least) what Len is
advocating. On the one hand there is the suggestion that attempting to
create and maintain a community vocabulary is folly and it is easier
to allow each trading partner to define their own variant and worry
about reconciling the differences as/when integration takes place.

Whilst I have a lot of empathy with the idea that speed to market is
often a more effective strategy that global interoperability, there
are risks... and probably a bunch of up-stream costs that might not be
apparent until you get there ?

Len, is there any shared vocabulary in your proposal. If not, where do
each of the participants start from, and how are shared semantics
going to occur other than through a lot of analysis every time you
want to connect to a new trading partner or an existing one feels like
making a change to their local dialect ?

Roger's examples were deliberately using very simple and well
understood entities. I work in financial services and I can tell you
that there are very few concepts that are simple or well understood !

Fraser.