Re: [xml-dev] [Summary] Creating a single XML vocabulary that is appropriately customized to different sub-groups within a community

> On the other hand, look at how much work went into building UBL and how much
> it has cost so far, then do a traffic analysis of current usage.

Yes, the impression is that this ratio (especially from a ROI
perspective) would not be an attractive proposition. One the other
hand, once over the initial investment 'hump', the cost of entry
thereafter is much lower (there is enough UBL now for new users to get
benefit I would have thought - if it weren't so damned complex that is
;-).

Its a similar argument I face most days, shall 'Solution X' comply
with our [technical] architectural principles or shall we 'go
tactical' and worry about the impact that this may have later. Once
again its horses for courses with a bunch of influencing factors
(shelf life of the application, funding model, business benefit, 'run'
costs, delivery timescale, et al).

There's a lot of focus on 'agile' right now (something of which I
approve personally), but even here there are usually some 'sacred
cows' .... I heard someone say recently 'tactical is like - buy now
pay later (except no-one tells you about the 'pay later' bit), versus
pay now save later'. Simplistic I know, but with a grain of truth ;-).

Often, the initial funding model for enterprise architecture doesn't
fit with invidual project budgets, in which case should we send all of
the architects home and just do tactical everything ?

David Orchard et al have proposed a number of disciplines that *can*
be used to ease the impact (and thus speed and cost) of changing and
extending a vocabulary. These touched on the roles of the vocabulary
'owner' and the vocabulary 'users' and identified how both centralised
and decentralised control can occur without total anarchy.

Roger and others on this list have also in the recent past talked
about when to create new bespoke vocabularies and when there might be
advantage in reusing those that already exist. The arguments are not
dis-similar to those which you and I are making now.

In organisations its close to the 'reuse vs. buy vs. build' analogy.

Fraser.