Re: [xml-dev] Convention versus standard

In many cases, standards are in opposition to conventions, if not common
sense.

One example: some in the Namespaces posse insist against pre-defined
prefixes (other than 'xml'). But quite a few programmers expect certain
things to be predefined, like 'html' in the first few IE releases subsequent
to REC-xml-names.

Over time the pressure for predefined (or at least predeclared) names has
come back around to affect standards, such as XQuery predeclaring 'xs',
'xsi', 'fn', etc.

-m