startEntity and endEntity events for parsed and unparsed entities

Given:

hello—world

I get the following sax events:

characters "hello"
startEntity
endEntity
characters "-world"

The end event fires immediately after the start event, with the
expanded value coming after merged in with the next characters.

This only seems the case for unparsed entities - for parsed entities
within the dtd (if I have the terminology right) you get the start
event, the contents and then the end event.

It seems that because the events are overloaded for both parsed and
unpared entities, you get two events.  If they were separated, you'd
only get one "uparsed-entity" event?

Either way, how I can get expanded the value for the entity, such that
I can wrap it in an element:

<entity name="mdash">-</entity>

?

thanks