XML Transformation

Hello,
I have a third party incoming XML at the transport layer which has a structure as below

<d:a xmlns:a="...." xmlns:dsig="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#">
<dsig:Signature xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#"> (the dsig namespace is applied to all child elements as well)
</dsig:Signature>
</d:a>

When my parser is parsing the xml this is what i am getting

<d:a xmlns:a="...." xmlns:dsig="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#">
<Signature xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#"> (the dsig namespace is removed from all the child elements)
</Signature>
</d:a>

Then when i try to validate the signature it fails. The partner is saying that i have wrongly parsed the xml. They calculated the digest with the "dsig" prefix in their xml where as i am calcuating it after removing "dsig" namespace as there is a default namespace and thus the parser overrides the parent  namespace declaration.

Which one is correct, should my parser have retained the "dsig" namespace even though a default namespace is defined or i am doing the right thing?

We are using apache axis 1.3 for parsing the xml which is comming over SOAP.

thanks in advance for the help

Regards,
Anishek