Re: [xml-dev] Is "XML" an abbreviation or an acronym?

> "SOAP" was coined as an acronym. Some people use it as an acronym
> now, but others do not.
>
> Another example of the is Ecma. It used to be ECMA, short for a phrase, but
> now they have a less European bias it is just a name and not short for
> anything, according to them.

I used to laugh to myself in meetings where managers would shout
acronyms across the table at each other but not be able to tell you
the words the acronyms were short for...

I guess it doesn't really matter, as long as everyone knows what is
meant when the acronym is said then it has served its purpose.  At
which point, you could argue that the acronym has graduated into a
word.

To go back to the point of the thread, doesn't it depend on what the
browers do with <abbr> and <acronym> ?  Go with whichever does what
you want...

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com