Re: [APPS-REVIEW] Metalink XML Download Description Format (draft-bryan-metalink-01)

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 5:35 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> Dave Cridland wrote:

>> 11) Section 4.2.17: Does that "type" attribute totally suck? Of course,
>> you have to have it because every man, his dog, and his pet hampster has
>> decided that only HTTP is allowed, these days, for absolutely everything,
>> leading to a totally useless URI scheme which essentially fails to describe
>> the actual resource it's supposedly a locator for. Okay, rant over, back to
>> the review.
>
> "4.2.17. The "metalink:url" Element
>

>   The "metalink:url" element contains the IRI of a file.  All IRIs
>   should lead to identical files, except in the case of type
>   "bittorrent" where the IRI should lead to a .torrent file."
>
> Actually, don't do that. Don't make the meaning of an element totally
> dependent on an attribute on it. If torrent files are a special case (can
> there be more...?), then define a separate element.

I'm sure there COULD be more, but I don't know of any other right now.

Do you suggest a torrent specific element, or something generic?

Thanks Julian.

--
(( Anthony Bryan ... Metalink [ http://www.metalinker.org ]
 )) Easier, More Reliable, Self Healing Downloads