Re: [xml-dev] Use xsd to specify multiple instances of existing element

I think what Andrew is suggesting is something like:

<xs:element name='category' type='categoryType' />

<xs:complexType name='categoryType' abstract='true'>

<xs:complexType name='privacy'>
    <xs:complexContent>
        <xs:extension base='categoryType'>

<xs:complexType name='fishingType'>
    <xs:complexContent>
        <xs:extension base='categoryType'>

This obviously has the problem of requiring the use of xsi:type.  It does
point to XSD1.1's xs:alternative construct being a useful way to go though.
Based on the example in the latest draft just before section 3.3.3, you'd
have something like:

<xs:element name="category" type="categoryType">
  <xs:alternative test="@scheme='http://dig.com/privacy'"
type="categoryPrivacyType"/>
  <xs:alternative test="@scheme='http://dig.com/fishingType'"
type="categoryFishingType"/>
</xs:element>

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

XSD 1.1 is not even new stuff yet(!), so I guess that is of little help!

HTH,

Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
Interface XML to C++ the easy way using XML C++
data binding to convert XSD schemas to C++ classes.
Visit http://www.codalogic.com/lmx/ for more info