Re: [xml-dev] Should Subject Matter Experts Determine XML Data Implementations?

Costello, Roger L. wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Let me divide the world into two camps:
>
> 1. Subject Matter Experts (SMEs): these are people that are experts in
> a subject (domain), but are not necessarily expert at the technologies
> employed to implement the subject/domain.
>
> 2. Technology Experts: these are people that are experts at the
> technologies, but are not necessarily expert in the subject matter.

> Consider the following process to developing an XML data
> implementation:
>
> Step 1: SMEs are interviewed about the domain's data and its
> hierarchical relationships. A "Data Specification" is created which
> captures the domain's data and relationships.
>
> Step 2: Technology experts are then handed the Data Specification to
> implement. They create an XML Schema implementation.

This is just echoing what was supposed to happen with AI systems in the
'80's. Pick the brains of the SMEs and dump it into Expert Systems.
It didn't work then. Why should it be any different now?

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.