Re: [xml-dev] [Summary] Should Subject Matter Experts Determine XMLData Implementations?

Kurt Cagle wrote:
> In my experience designing ontologies for different groups, one thing
> that I find keeps cropping up is that SMEs tend to create data
> structures that most closely approximate their understanding of a
> subject, not necessarily that provides the most optimal representation
> of that data model. Certainly SMEs should be involved at all stages of
> the ontology process, but I've also found that if left up to the SME
> alone, the models are often awkward to implement, tend to be
> overspecified, and as often as not contain sometimes bizarre assumptions
> that can significantly limit these models when translated into a
> computing environment.

I have to agree with Kurt.  Subject matter experts may well be experts
at the subject, but making 'expert' data models work is not always a
good idea.  I'd probably go further, though.

Frankly, when building data models, I'd much rather have a mix of skill
levels and perspectives involved.  Different participants have different
views on the data, but there's often more than just views on the same
data model - there are often different internalized data models.

Combining those different models with data structures requires more than
just careful data design.  I'd argue it involves programming,
transformations at minimum, that ensure that the data presented meets
local expectations.  That's never easy, but I don't think it's avoidable.

It's been a long time since I've been involved with this in an XML
context (though I'm starting to work with it in a database context
again), so I'm a bit cautious about saying this.  Nonetheless, it seems
so obviously true to me that I might as well.

Thanks,
Simon St.Laurent
XML retiree