xml over http - RFC 3023

Hi all,

There's a very good article here about the problem of reading feeds
from all over the world in different encodings:

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/07/21/dive.html

It describes how you (sometimes) have the encoding in the http content
type but also the encoding in the xml prolog, and the problems of
choosing which to use.

It also talks of RFC 3023 which sounds like it was an attempt to sort
it out.  The article is dated July 2004 and I'm wondering if there's
any more recent information?  Is there any support in modern parsers -
for example can I give the parser a URL and it takes care of the rest?

At the moment it all seems pretty complicated... especially
considering XML was designed for the web.  The problem of parsing
feeds from all over the world must have tackled a few times over by
now?

thanks

--
Andrew Welch