RE: [xml-dev] XML Schema: "Best used with the ______ tool"

Hey Bryan:
Let me try to sooth your headache with my Substitution Groups 101 articles.
Just settle back, Tuborg glass in hand:

Subtyping in W3C XML Schema, Part 1
Three Degrees of Inheritance
http://www.tdan.com/view-articles/7185

Subtyping in W3C XML Schema, Part 2
Extensions in another Namespace
http://www.tdan.com/view-articles/7186

JAXB, and especially XMLBeans, make light work of generating Java classes
for such XML Schemas.  I know back in the Stone Age RPC Encoded Web services
gave data binding a bad name and the major relational DBMS vendors have paid
scant attention to SQL2 let alone SQL3, but if you stick to basic bread and
butter data types, like UN/CEFACT ebXML CCTS (ISO/TS 15000-5) Core Data
Types, then life's really not so bad - unless you are looking to pick nits
and score points.

Substitution Groups are also a great way to extend data exchange
vocabularies across namespaces for local communities of interest, à la
OAGIS.

Cheers

Jack Lindsey