Re: [xml-dev] XML Schema: "Best used with the ______ tool"

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@gmail.com> writes:

> Surely you wouldn't return a delimited string, you would return person
> nodes and then select the values from the returned nodes?

Yes, good point. I will see if I can change the test to do this.

> Also, the comparison isn't quite right - the only fair thing would be
> time how long it takes to output the information to a file or standard
> out (the gui language would likely be different in either case, say
> swing vs html)

Well, my original claim was that in a use case where we have has to
interface with other, non-XML data sources, query most of the data
in the document and perform multiple such queries, XML data binding
will perform better than XQuery. Michael asked for evidence and I
came up with this benchmark. I believe for this scenario the
comparison is fair since both the data binding and XQuery tests get
input information and send output by calling native programming
language functions.

Boris Kolpackov, Code Synthesis Tools   http://codesynthesis.com/~boris/blog
Open source XML data binding for C++:   http://codesynthesis.com/products/xsd
Mobile/embedded validating XML parsing: http://codesynthesis.com/products/xsde