RE: XML Schema: "Best used with the ______ tool"

Hi Folks,

This has been a truly excellent discussion.

What I've learned is that, good or bad, people do use multiple models - XML and object-oriented/procedural. And people do use data binding tools to map XML data into OO objects and procedural code.

In my initial post (below) I noted that some data binding tools are unable to handle certain XML Schema constructs, such as repeatable sequences, abstract elements, and choices.

CONCLUSION

If you want your XML Schemas to be broadly adopted, avoid using constructs that data binding tools cannot handle. Thus, avoid creating XML Schemas with:
      - repeatable sequences
      - abstract elements
      - choices

I don't like this conclusion as it severely cripples XML Schemas. And it puts us in a situation analogous to the browser wars:

    Instead of:

       "This Web page is best viewed with ____"

    we have:

       "This XML Schema is best used with this ____ data binding tool".

I see this conclusion as inevitable. Do you agree?

/Roger