Re: [xml-dev] XML Schema: "Best used with the ______ tool"

Hi Michael,

Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> writes:

> > That would be the case if we ran only one query. But
> > remember, we are testing repetitive access to the data.
>
> Well, you didn't actually say that.

I refer you to my email describing the benchmark:

BTW, it also provides the description of the benchmark in pseudo-
code which should be trivial to translate to Java.

> > As far as I remember, I stated that in a scenario with
> > repetitive access to most of the data, data binding will have
> > an advantage. You asked for evidence and I believe I have
> > shown that it can certainly be the case. Here are the relevant
> > quotes:
> >
> You also said there would be an advantage for a single query that
> accesses most of the data.

From this I assume that you are satisfied with the evidence showing
that data binding can significantly outperform XQuery?

Let's look at a single query that accesses most of the data. Since
we run only one query, it doesn't really make sense to build the in-
memory representation. So I used our stream-oriented XML Schema to
C++ data binding which allows me to select the matching data as the
document is being parsed. To make the numbers easier to compare, I
ran this test of 2.4 Core Duo (the same CPU that you used). It takes
29ms to both parse the XML and extract the matching entries. Compared
to 140ms (125ms (parse) + 15ms (query)) for XQuery/Saxon, data binding
is almost 5 times faster (x4.86 to be precise).

Plus, this is still a comparison between XQuery which does nothing
with the result and data binding which delivers the data to the
application in the native format (e.g., age as unsigned short instead
of string, etc).

Boris

--
Boris Kolpackov, Code Synthesis Tools   http://codesynthesis.com/~boris/blog