From: Costello, Roger L. [mailto:costello@mitre.org]
Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2008 7:12 AM
To: 'xml-dev@lists.xml.org'
Subject: [xml-dev] What's your ideology for how applications should be
created?

Hi Folks,

"An ideology is ... a conceptual framework with the way people deal with
reality." [Alan Greenspan]

What's your ideology for how applications should be created?

I oftentimes see parts and pieces of a conceptual framework for application
design, but rarely do I see a complete framework.

What appeals to me about Michael Kay's article[1] is that it is a complete
conceptual framework (ideology), expressed by an extraordinarily bright
individual, possessing a wealth of experience. (much like Alan Greenspan)

Here is the Michael Kay ideology, in a nutshell:

Create workflow-based applications. Design XML documents to mimic documents
in the physical world. Store the XML documents centrally, in an XML
database. Pass around URLs to the documents. Use an all-XML solution; avoid
using imperative languages.

What's your ideology for how applications should be created?

/Roger

P.S. Michael Kay, I hope that I have accurately portrayed your ideology.
Please correct any errors.

[1]  http://www.stylusstudio.com/whitepapers/xml_workflow.pdf