Re: [xml-dev] Multiple Inheritance in XML Schema

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 08:18:00 -0000, Ramkumar Menon
<ramkumar.menon@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why isn't there a straightforward mechanism for multiple inheritance
> in XML Schemas?
> What are the rationales for that design decision? Is it because it
> adds unnecessary complexity?
> I am sure there are strong reasons for this - am interested in knowing
> them.
> Ram

I think the more fundamental question is "Why isn't there a
straightforward mechanism for multiple inheritance".  The C++ experiment
with this was so disappointing that Java and C# dumped direct multiple
inheritance.  I've never been a member of the W3C XML Schema Working
Group, but I suspect they were influenced by this.

Additionally, with XML you have content order to worry about, and that
complicates things.  You could append the content from one parent type to
that of the other, but that would give you something very different to
what multiple inheritance produces in C++.  Some people would say that it
isn't multiple inheritance, and that is true - it's more composition that
inheritance (and you can effectively implement it now using model groups).

I'm not sure there is a single reason why XML Schema doesn't support
multiple inheritance, but I can see multiple reasons that would have
weighted against the idea.

Cheers, Tony.
--
Anthony B. Coates