Machine vs Human: The Disputed Territory (was: Syntax versusSemantics)

Bruce Cox wrote:

  There are those operations that:

  1) cannot be performed by machine

  2) can but aren't performed by machine

         [it isn't economical,
          or we haven't figured
         it out yet]

  3) are performed by machines

  The boundary between 2 and 3
  is a territory in dispute with daily
  skirmishes on several fronts where
  there are clear winners on one side
  or the other, but with no end to the
  overall conflict in sight.

  I think the best we can expect is a
  certain equilibrium between what
  machines can profitably perform
  and what humans will profitably perform

  The disputed territory moves across the
  landscape, but never completely disappears.

Awesome imagery Bruce! I enjoyed it so much that I created a graphic:

http://www.xfront.com/machine-vs-human-the-disputed-territory.gif

/Roger