Re: [xml-dev] XML external entity references

Thanks, David for the answer.

Kindly read my further questions below.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 5:56 PM, David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk> wrote:
>> Can I anyhow successfully parse the above XML? for e.g., using a
>> custom entity resolver, or using a catalog file.
>
> you can use a catalog file that defaults in a dtd that defines the
> entity.

I was actually trying to use the catalog file, by defaulting to a DTD
that defines the entity.

my goal is to successfully parse the file:

<x>
  &message;
</x>

I want to define the entity 'message' in a local DTD, and use a local
catalog file to point to this DTD.

I was following the details at,
http://xerces.apache.org/xerces2-j/faq-xcatalogs.html for using it in
Xerces-J.

I think, we can define the catalog file as:

1. OASIS XML catalog format, or

2. The catalog text format described by OASIS TR 9401

I found that OASIS TR 9401 format has a option to default to a DTD, in
case <!DOCTYPE declaration is absent in the XML (I think it's the
option DOCTYPE in OASIS TR 9401 format).
But I found, that this option works in SGML systems, and not in XML
(but I am not very sure).

But after studying the OASIS XML catalog format, I couldn't find an
option for this.

Please do correct me, on any of the above points.

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi