Re: [xml-dev] validation against xml schema (xsd)

Hi Matt,

Philippe is right, NVDL should work, I also should have suggested it.
You can find the available NVDL implementations linked from here

http://nvdl.org/

In addition to those listed there you can also use Jing from
http://code.google.com/p/jing-trang/
because the oNVDL implementation was merged back into Jing. Note however
that you need to check out Jing [1] and just run its build script to get
the jars with NVDL support, for details see [2].

Basically you need to create a script that in the initial mode matches
on each namespace you are interested in and validates with the schema
for each namespace using a mode that attaches all the descendant
sections to the initial one, something like below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<rules xmlns="http://purl.oclc.org/dsdl/nvdl/ns/structure/1.0";
startMode="match">
     <mode name="match">
         <namespace ns="http://www.example.com/namespaceA";>
             <validate schema="a.xsd" useMode="attach"/>
         </namespace>
         <namespace ns="http://www.example.com/namespaceB";>
             <validate schema="b.xsd" useMode="attach"/>
         </namespace>
     </mode>
     <mode name="attach">
         <anyNamespace><attach/></anyNamespace>
     </mode>
</rules>

Note also that using NVDL allows you to use not only XML Schema but also
Schematron and Relax NG and also you can validate a document against
multiple schemas:

Relax NG:
         <namespace ns="http://www.example.com/namespaceC";>
             <validate schema="c.rng" useMode="attach"/>
         </namespace>
Multiple validations, against XSD and Schematron:
         <namespace ns="http://www.example.com/namespaceD";>
             <validate schema="d.xsd" useMode="attach"/>
             <validate schema="d.sch" useMode="attach"/>
	</namespace>

[1] http://code.google.com/p/jing-trang/source/checkout
[2] http://code.google.com/p/jing-trang/wiki/HowToBuildFromSource

Best Regards,