Re: [xml-dev] RESTful XML for updates?

In a RESTful system, any thing that you want to be able to address
independently (e.g., the widget's state or color) should be an
independent resource with its own URL. If you simply want to query the
thing, and it's a child of another resource, you can use a query URL,
but if you want to update it, it should be a stand-alone URL.

Bear in mind that the XML document is a logical representation of the
widget resource, and the means by which you maintain it's state on the
server should be invisible to the client. It's possible that you also
use this XML document as the physical representation of the resource,
but you should maintain a separation of concerns between the logical
and physical worlds. When a user updates a widget's state or color,
your backend process should make the appropriate changes to the server
side state on behalf of the client.