DTD encoding

An XML document has its encoding specified in the prolog.  But what is the encoding of the dtd file ?
When I look at dtd found on internet (for example docbook dtds), I can never find the encoding specified in the document itself.
Does the DTD file 'inherits' its encoding from the enclosing xml document ?

Thanks for your replies

Vincent De Groote