Re: [xml-dev] Undeclared prefix error with Xerces Java on Mac only

Michael Good <musicxml@gmail.com> wrote on 03/11/2009 12:40:11 AM:

> Hi Michael, George, and Jeff,
>
> Thank you so much for all your prompt and helpful responses! This
> quickly got me looking in the right direction.
>
> The problem, as Michael suspected, was that I was not using the
> SchemaFactory classe that I expected on both systems. The Xerces
> classes were set in the classpath correctly. However, I was not
> setting the schema factory system property in the same way that I was
> doing for the DOM implementation registry and the document builder
> factory. So on Windows I was getting the correct class:
>
>   org.apache.xerces.jaxp.validation.XMLSchemaFactory
>
> But on Mac I was getting the class:
>
>   com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.validation.xs.schemaFactoryImpl
>
> The problem was solved by adding two lines of code before getting the
> SchemaFactory instance:
>
>   String schemaFactoryProperty =
>       "javax.xml.validation.SchemaFactory:" +
> XMLConstants.W3C_XML_SCHEMA_NS_URI;
>   System.setProperty(schemaFactoryProperty,
>       "org.apache.xerces.jaxp.validation.XMLSchemaFactory");

Right. That's one way to make it work but ideally you shouldn't have to do that. The SchemaFactory.newInstance() method is supposed to search for a META-INF/services/javax.xml.validation.SchemaFactory file in the jars on the classpath and return an instance of the class specified in this file. xercesImpl.jar contains this file so should get the Xerces implementation by virtue of including it on the classpath but seems like the copy of Java 5 you have on the Mac has the bug I mentioned: not reading the META-INF/services file correctly and ends up falling back to the JDK internal implementation.