Re: [xml-dev] Trailing slash on a namespace that is a url

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 01:56:50PM +0000, Andrew Welch wrote:
> Does the list think namespaces should have a trailing slash?  (those
> that are URLs anyway)
[...]
> Is it wise to leave it off

"wise" and "namespaces" in the same question?

"wise" is to avoid using namespaces as much as possible.
Once you've decided you need them, make them as easy to
rekey as possible -- e.g. avoid sequences like l1 or 0O0o0
or 5S5, and make sure characters are hex-escaped where
necessary.  Beyond that, since I doubt many people actually
memorise namespace URIs any more than most SGML people
memorised formal public identifiers, I don't think the
trailing slash matters -- people are going to copy from
working examples.

If we'd had longer to work on the namespace design it still
think we'd have ended up with some sort of XML catalogue at
the "other end".  I've recently been thinking about this some
more, but the margin of this emailer is too small... er, I mean,
it's a topic for another thread :)

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/ * http://www.fromoldbooks.org/