Re: [xml-dev]Changing Namespaces Between Specification Versions (was: XIN: XML implicit namespace definitions)

I concur with Michael's observation, but I don't think a version attribute
alone is sufficient for good versioning.  My experience is that a versioning
strategy doesn't happen by chance, and it needs to be thought about when
version 1 is being developed; something that doesn't always happen.

I prefer something like a 'require' attribute in the root element that
contains a list of constants (or URIs) of what a receiving node must
understand in order to process a message.  For example the attribute may be
something like require="foo bar baz".  It keeps all the feature negotiation
in one place, and makes it easy for the receiving node to report back that,
for example, it does not understand 'bar'.

(I know this wasn't the question, but since versioning seems to be so badly
catered for I thought a little extra on it in web-o-sphere wouldn't hurt!)

Regards,

Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
Interface XML to C++ the easy way using XML C++
data binding to convert XSD schemas to C++ classes.
Visit http://codalogic.com/lmx/ for more info